This Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe is a unique take on spicy wings. It contains all the delicious elements of this popular meal but in a healthy and mouth-watering salad. It’s perfect for those seeking a flavorful treat without extra calories from traditional wings!
This post may contain affiliate links, please read our disclosure policy here.
This salad is the perfect meal prep idea for lunch. A buffalo chicken salad typically includes cooked chicken, celery, onions, ranch dressing, and hot buffalo wing sauce. Additional ingredients like lettuce, carrots, and blue cheese can also be added to enhance the dish and elevate its flavors. With various serving and variation ideas available, this salad can be easily adapted to fit unique tastes and dietary requirements.
If you like this recipe, you’ll love this grinder salad recipe.
Buffalo Chicken Salad Ingredients
- Chicken – I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe. Feel free to use chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Buffalo sauce – I use homemade buffalo sauce, but storebought will also work.
- Vegetables – remain lettuce, celery, carrots
- Other ingredients – blue cheese crumbles, blue cheese dressing.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe
Mix the buffalo sauce and sliced chicken breast in a medium bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the marinated chicken to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the chicken to the other side and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until cooked through.
Assembling the Salad
Mix the Romain lettuce, tomato, blue cheese crumbles, celery, and carrots in a large bowl.
Top the salad with the cooked chicken. Add blue cheese dressing and additional buffalo sauce to the salad. Toss and serve immediately.
Serving and Variation Ideas
Looking to switch up your buffalo chicken salad recipe? Check out these serving and variation ideas to add extra flavor and creativity to your dish.
- Wrap this salad in a tortilla or lettuce wrap.
- Use ranch dressing instead of blue cheese
- Use other chees, like cheddar or gorgonzola, in place of blue cheese.
- Use leftover shredded chicken and toss in buffalo sauce before proceeding with the recipe.
- Consider swapping out the shredded chicken for buffalo meatballs.
- Add diced avocado or chopped nuts.
- Feel free to get creative with the ingredients in your buffalo chicken salad.
How to Pack a Buffalo Chicken Salad for Lunch
Packing a buffalo chicken salad for lunch is a great way to enjoy a delicious and nutritious meal on the go. Follow these simple tips to ensure your salad stays fresh and enjoyable throughout the day.
To pack the Buffalo Chicken Salad for lunch, choose a container with separate compartments or inserts to prevent sogginess. Place the buffalo chicken mixture in one compartment while storing the lettuce, diced vegetables, and additional toppings in separate compartments.
Pack the dressing in a small, separate container. Additionally, include a small bag or container for crunchy additions like croutons, nuts, or tortilla chips. Pack everything in an insulated lunch bag with a cold pack to keep the salad chilled and fresh.
How to make a wrap with it?
To make a wrap with buffalo chicken salad, follow these steps:
Start by preparing the buffalo chicken salad by combining shredded chicken, preferred dressing, buffalo sauce, diced celery, and other desired ingredients. Ensure that the salad is well-mixed.
Lay out a large tortilla wrap. Spread a layer of the buffalo chicken salad mixture down the center. Leave enough room on both ends for folding.
Add any additional desired toppings, such as lettuce, tomatoes, or avocado.
Fold the bottom and top of the tortilla inward. Roll both sides towards the center of the wrap. Ensure a tight seal.
Cut the wrap in half diagonally, and enjoy.
Divide the salad into individual portions or keep it in a large container.
Use airtight containers or cover the salad with plastic wrap.
Store the salad in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Remember that the texture of certain ingredients, such as celery, may alter after being refrigerated for a few days. However, your salad should still be flavorful and satisfying.
While freezing your buffalo chicken salad is a less common option, it is possible to freeze certain components for later use. Here’s how to store your salad in the freezer:
Separate the cooked chicken from the rest of the salad ingredients.
Place the cooked chicken in a freezer-safe container or a resealable plastic bag.
Remove as much air as possible before sealing the container or bag.
Clearly label and date the container, then store it in the freezer.
It is important to remember that freezing the entire salad is not recommended. This includes vegetables and dressing. Doing so can drastically change the texture and taste of the salad.
Buffalo chicken salad pairs well with dressings that have a creamy and tangy profile. A popular choice is blue cheese dressing, which complements the spiciness of the buffalo sauce. Another option is ranch dressing.
Blue cheese is the favorite choice for buffalo chicken salad. It has a strong, tangy flavor that stands out against the spiciness of the chicken. Blue cheese can be added in crumbles or as part of the dressing. However, alternatives like crumbled feta or sharp cheddar cheese can be used if someone does not enjoy blue cheese.
Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe
- 8 ounces chicken breast sliced in half
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce divided
- 2 cups chopped Romain lettuce
- ¼ cup of blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ chopped celery
- ½ cup Shredded carrots
- ¼ cup blue cheese dressing
- In a medium bowl, mix together 2 Tablespoons buffalo sauce and sliced chicken breast. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the marinated chicken to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the chicken to the other side and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Romain lettuce, tomato, blue cheese crumbles, celery, and carrots.
- Add the cooked chicken to the bowl with the vegetables and toss with the blue cheese dressing and remaining buffalo sauce until everything is evenly coated. Serve immediately.
- If you prefer, you can wrap this salad in a tortilla wrap.
- If you’re not a fan of blue cheese, replace the blue cheese with ranch dressing.